Thursday, December 11, 2008

Life in the Dark Ages

I think I've traveled back 20 years in time, where computers were only good for playing The Oregon Trail. The screen started up in DOS mode, where I'd click the commands in yellow to start the game. Those were the days where I'd read and write for free time, and gobble up books as fast as Data reading text in Star Trek.

Those days are now back. I still don't have a laptop to take with me on the ferry, or to use at home. My work is ordering me a new one, and I still need to drive to a Dell store to get my personal laptop fixed. So, my ferry has been filled with books, my mind full of words. I started the Jodi Picoult book, "Salem Falls" a few days ago, and have already read half of the 400 page book. I read for an hour per day on the ferry, 20 minutes per day on the bus, and before bed. It's liberating; my web surfing addiction can't be fed without my computer.

I even took some time lately to write using a PEN and PAPER. I took my journal on the boat, and felt like I was living in the 18th century, writing with a quill by the light of an oil lamp. I felt people looking at me out of the corners of their eyes, thinking how very ODD it looks to see a person scribbling in ink.

I've also noticed myself thinking in "fiction." Whenever my mind is free, it roams to invented plotlines, to descriptions, to how my character would respond to certain situations. My favorite is to create lines of poetry about my daily life. This is why I constantly get distrcted, the typed words on my computer swimming in front of my eyes. They only come alive in my mind.

It's been an interesting experience living without a computer on my time off. I miss reading my daily blogs, and I miss writing blogs the most. Hopefully I'll be back from the blogging void soon enough. Until then, I'm going to sink into my latest book.

5 comments:

andrea said...

I've actually had the same experience since I don't get internet on my computer at home. It's quite liberating and I too think of things to do with all the free time. Lately, I've just been reading as well. It's so nice to be able to read before bed and actually *think* of things. I think I'll keep it this way.

Lisa said...

I understand your frustration!!
....but I LOVED Oregon trail! I'd see how far I could get with only candy, sugar and liquor.

Dan-Eric Slocum said...

Take your time and enjoy the tech holiday. I feel a bit *held hostage* by it personally.

BUT, that said, if people aren't "into" tech in the year 2008 -- they just got left in the dust.

Buh-bye. It's a connected world and it's only the beginning.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I miss your blogs, but it is probably a good creative vacation and sounds like you are rolling with it. Ideas definitely arise more when there is stillness than when engaged on the computer...so take advantage, and let the ideas rip when you get the computer back! About reading - I am a book freak, but simply don't have time to read much, and I miss it.

Colleen said...

Good for you! I haven't been the same since Greece, where I had to walk a mile or take the metro to get wireless signal. w/o the ease of technology I just learned to live w/o it. Easy as pie!